Why do I need to get my dog licensed and what do I need to obtain one?

Why do I need to get my dog licensed what do I need to obtain one? New York State requires all dogs to be licensed by four months of age. Before a license can be issued or renewed, current proof of rabies vaccination must be provided. This information is crucial for the general public's well being. In addition, proof of spaying or neutering must be presented if applicable. If that is not possible, the owner may fill out an Affidavit at the Clerk's office. The fee for a neutered/spayed dog in Schodack is $7.00 annually. The fee for a dog that is not neutered or spayed is $15.00 annually. Tags must be affixed to the dogs collar. If you or your dog loses the original Town of Schodack tag, the cost of a replacement tag will be $3.00. Dog owners who do not respond to the renewal notice will be contacted by the Clerk's office. In the event the owner does not respond after several delinquency notices and subsequent follow-up phone calls, their name is forwarded to the Animal Control Officer for further action. The Animal Control Officer visits the residence for final compliance. If no attempt is made to license the dog after all these procedures, the dog owner can be ticketed and/or fined with non-compliance of State and Town law. During a dog enumeration if your dog is unlicensed, an additional fee is applied to the required licensing fee. Please note that the Town of Schodack has a Leash Law. All dogs, when not confined to the property of their owner, must be under control and on a leash not in excess of 12 feet in length. This is a change from the previous law which stated that dogs had to be confined or leashed only between sundown and sunrise. You may view the full text of the law here. Lastly, if your dog is lost, stolen or dies, notify the Town Clerk's Office.

Lois Ciccolella, Deputy Town Clerk....
This Deputy Clerk takes dog licensing to a new level!

And if you're a dog owner in Schodack, you should know...

... that New York State mandates that all dogs over the age of 4 months be licensed in the municipality in which it lives? We recognize that many residents are not aware of this state and town law. In order to license your dog, proof of current rabies vaccination (Rabies Certificate) is required for all dogs. Rabies is a contagious and serious disease spread from animals to people, so having them vaccinated, helps to protect not only your dog, but you and your family. If your dog is spayed/neutered you must also provide a copy of the spaying/neutering certificate. The cost of licensing your dog is very nominal - $7.00 for a spayed/neutered dog and $15.00 for an unspayed/unneutered dog. This is an annual license.

... that the Town of Schodack has a leash law? When your dog is off your property, it must be on a leash no longer than 12 feet. However, if you are walking your dog in the Town Park, the leash cannot be longer than 6 feet. Any dog found running a large may be seized pursuant to law. The owner is subject to impoundment fees and a fine. For the well being of your dog, yourself and your neighbors, be a responsible pet owner and leash your dog when it is not on your property. Remember too - Love Me, License Me. If you have any questions please call the Schodack Town Clerk's office at 477-7590.

Wild Animals and Snakes

General Municipal Law §209-cc, requires that each person owning, possessing or harboring a wild animal must report its presence to their local municipal clerk before April 1st of each year. This information is then provided to emergency services personnel so that they may protect themselves, other people and the animals when responding to an emergency. "Wild animals" includes non-human primates, members of the wild cat, dog and bear families, all venomous snakes, all constrictors and pythons 10 feet or greater in length and members of the crocodile and alligator families 5 feet or greater in length. For more information, a complete list of animals and/or required forms contact Donna Conlin, Schodack Town Clerk at 265 Schuurman Rd., Castleton, NY 12033, by email, or telephone 477-7590.